Kondô -Golden Hall
The original Kondô, founded in 802, was situated on the far side of the river. This was burnt down in 1490 and the temple’s functions were carried out in another building called the Kyakuden on the site of the present Kondô. This was destroyed at the Meiji Restoration. Construction of the present building started in 1987 using entirely traditional techniques. It was completed in 1996.
The Yakushi Buddha inside the Kondô is carved from a holy pine tree from Shinkyôsan, the mountain behind Takkoku no Iwaya. This Buddha is beneficial for people with worries and can help to strengthen the body and heal illnesses as well as promote a long life and fulfill various other wishes.